Forget diamonds...concealer is a girl's (or guy's!) best friend and the secret to a flawless face. You're stranded on a desert island with only one makeup product? It's got to be concealer. If you prefer a natural look, you can create the illusion of perfect bare skin using nothing else. No matter what your skin challenge may be, a good concealer can help you face the world with confidence. Disguise under eye circles, blemishes, broken capillaries, dark spots, pigmentation and birth marks. A full coverage concealer can even hide scars and tattoos!
Concealer is the product that will have the biggest impact on your confidence. Take the time to learn which one is right for you.
Stick/pencil is a solid form of concealer. Provides medium to full coverage, making it a good choice for stubborn touch up jobs like dark spots. Not a good choice for oily or blemish-prone skin - the thicker texture can clog pores and cause breakouts.
Cream/palette formulations come in a little pot or compact and offer full coverage. Requires careful blending to avoid creating a mask-like look. Best for normal skin.
Liquid/cream is ideal for most skin types. A good liquid concealer offers adjustable coverage from light to full. It's easy to apply and blend and won't clog the pores. Build it up in layers for difficult cover up jobs using a concealer brush. A liquid formulation is the best choice for around the eyes, since it won't settle into fine lines. It's the most versatile type of concealer.
Hints for application:
- Allow your moisturiser/eye cream to absorb before you apply concealer.
- If you have marks or blemishes to cover, apply a mattifying/pore minimising primer to them first. This will help the concealer stay put all day.
- If you're using a liquid or cream foundation, apply the concealer over the top so it doesn't smudge.
- If your foundation has a powdery finish, apply concealer first. Be careful you don't smudge it when you apply the foundation.
- Set with a light dusting of loose or pressed powder.
What are your favourite concealer tricks? Let us know!
Love Lizzy xox